Friday, November 18

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Mike Newell has outdone his predecessors. Stuart Craig has outdone himself. Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire is extremely entertaining even to those who have not read the books. The director has brought out ample situations that we found hilarious. Though he had cut down on a lot (for eg:the international quidditch cup is almost reduced to a span of ten minutes), he has maintained an uniform energy by not waiving away from story-line, where especially the third part (Prisoner of Azkaban) lacked.
First day first show at Sathyam. It started the minute we sat down. And screams! My goodness, it was something like seeing thalaivar on-screen. The first part(before interval) was very amusing. Especially the part even Alan Rickman (Prof. Snape) joins in the festive mood. The twins (Fred and George) are adorable. All of us knew, Harry wins the first competition at the tri-wizard championshi (efeating the dragon and getting the golden egg). But the director has brought out a pace, such that, we started doubting whether what we read might not happen. Ralph Fiennes emerges as Voldemort. Few details were lost like when they hold their wand against each other, Voldemort and Harry are supposed to be floating in the air. Preethi also reminded that the death-eaters were supposed to be in a circle when the fight happens.
And sets. Whew! Will take a life time to forget. Both of us (Preethi and myself) have been wanting to go primarily for the sets. Our eyes were in for a huge treat. The Riddle house was just how I expected it to be. The first thing that took our breath away, was the International Match Set-up. What an arrangement, also the tents. The Second time when I was gasping was when I saw the boat, which just lifted itself to reveal a beautiful ship! That was a brilliant technique. And then came the Hall decorated for the ball. Stuart Craig has designed a set on water(right in the middle - goes upto four floors!) Continued to the underwater sets. All those were made in a huge tank. The mer-men were quite not what I expected. And the maze was impressive. He has maintained the dim-light everywhere. Both of us were waiting for the Sphinx to make an entry and were quite disappointed. The grave-yard was also good. But was completely different from how I percieved from Rowlings description. To sum up, we became extremely deperessed as we wondered whether we might ever get to work in such sets at all. I've missed out quite a few things. Will be seeing the movie a few more times and updating. Till then,

4 Comments:

Blogger navin said...

ithuku thaan padam pathutu apuram book padikanum nu solradhu...expectations kammiya irrukum...anyway as I told you, it was a treat to me, since I did not read the book and dont want to :)..I can watch the movie again though...Same experience I had after reading Godfather then watching the movie.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Incognito said...

I haven't still seen Godfather. Just read it and loved it. Mario Puzo has written well, but his other books like 'The family' etc followed same kind of storyline. Saw sarkar instead. My most favourite book-movie is Gone with the wind. The guy -Clark Gable for playing Rhett Butler. He is so damn sexy. Still madly in love with him. Though he died in 1960 because of heart-attack. Poor thing. Nobody was with him you know, he had just divorced! But navin, you should read 'Prisoner of Azkaban', now that you have seen that movie. THat was the first book of HP that I read(without touching 1st and 2nd). Her writing is very impressive, that is, if you've read any of enid blyton series you'd know.
U read lotta books?

7:14 PM  
Blogger navin said...

I try to do justice to textbooks, I feel guilty if I read a novel, since I pay attention to a hobby more than my career..In other words I am saying I don't read that much. Used to, but not now...when I am done with studies (do not know when) :)...then probably will start again.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Munimma said...

Yep. the sets were magnificient. hadn't attached a name to it :-)
And the books are definitely much above the movies, even the movies by themselves are works of art.

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home