Sunday, November 6

Rajinikanth

This post is exclusively dedicated to Rajini Uncle.

Just last week I saw Baasha on Sunday with my family. The best thing that could ever happen on a Sunday, according to my Dad is urlakazhangu (potato) curry, Vengaya(onion) sambhar, and a rajinikanth movie(One thing all of us agree on) . We love to have a late lunch enjoying thalaivar 's films. Its a perfect Combo.

Diwali was no exception. Padayappa was on the top notch prioprity. We noted the timings, calculated and packed sweets for relatives and kept a maximum of 5 minutes per house.. We had to visit around 8 houses including a visit to my father's boss's house. So started early. Our target was to reach home by 11.30. We were on time everywhere stating imaginable reasons and getting out of our relatives place, except for the boss's house. We reached there at 11.15 and got stuck there as the boss had gone out. So waited. You should have seen us, all of us looking at each other, counting minutes, when the boss arrived ten minutes late. After formal greetings, we had to get over with the usual snack offerings, which took another ten minutes. By that time, my father already aware, that we would miss the 'S-U-P-E-R S-T-A-R' with bgm, was scheming on starting the act ( We had already discussed what we should say, on our way to their house!)
Appa : Sir, We'd better leave. We have to visit few more houses to visit.
Boss : But you just came Vichu, Stay for some more time. My brother will also be joining us..
Appa : (Ayayo, intro song arambikkapodhe (Intro song is going to start) No Sir. We wouldn't want to disturb you..
Boss : Nothing doing. Have some more sweets.
Appa : (En paeru padayappa..(humming) think of something!) No Sir, we're having a get-together in Annanagar. So they will be waiting for us.
We all look at appa(huh?!)
My mom follows the suit.
Mom : Oh yes.
Myself and Meenu look at each other and nod.
Boss : Oh ok then.
Appa : (Whew!) Happy Diwali Sir!

My father drove the car at an admirable speed. We reached home finally and switced on tv franticaly to find we had missed quite a lot. Still settled down to enjoy the rest of the movie.

I dont remember the first movie I saw of Rajini's but I do remember seeing 'Anbulla Rajinikanth' in my 3rd standard. I was in Bangalore spending my vacation. We got the VCR tape and saw it one evening. I remember crying so much to my aunt after seeing the movie, cos I also wanted to see or atleast talk to Rajinikanth immediately. I brawled and fought with them with just one question in my mind 'If that girl in the movie(Meena), met Rajini Uncle, I can also meet him.' For two hours I cried. Did not sleep. My aunt could still recalls that incident. Only after they gave me a post card to write (which was addressed to Rajinikanth, Madras- for my satisfaction!), did I shut up. Then I wrote and slept off. I remember waiting for a reply, but it never came. I am guessing, I got distracted on to other things and completely forgot about it.

My father marks quite a resemblance towards Rajinikanth. Not that distinct. Let's say, that a few gestures that he does at home, then when he dances, :) , he looks like Rajinikanth. I have posted a photo, will get an older pic of my dad, that looks more striking.

Years later, I saw 'Aarilurundhu Arubhadhu varai'. I swore that I will not see that movie again cos Rajini 'Uncle' suffered too much. Till date, I catch glimpses of the film when it is played cos I cant stop myself from not watching, but try to change channels when he suffers. Till date, I cry whenever his brothers turn him down, when he loses his wife and everything. 'Thalapathi' sollave vendam. when he says 'Amma vittutu poyita', I break down.

Before this, I saw 'Padikkadhavan' was my favourite. I used to curse that stupid brother of his who made fun of Rajini when he turns up with red coloured Coat. 'Dharmathin Thalaivan'. Cursed Prabhu too for getting drunk. I still like the way it goes 'Kanna!', 'Anna!'. 'Adhisiya piravi was another fvourite one. 'Bada bejaaara pochu pa!'.'Billa', 'Johny'(that sexy song-aasaya kaathula thoodhu vittu), 'Raja chinna roja', 'Guru Sishya', 'Morattu kalai', 'Nallavannuku Nallavan', 'Velaikkaran', 'Uzhaipaali' and I could go on.

Most of them feel 'Baba' was a waste. I saw it 15 times. Once in theatre. We still get the CD and watch it sometimes.

Thalaivar is best when he is doing comedy. I just love it when he just simply stares at Senthil or Goundamani when they fool around. I also love when he does father roles. I personally think it suits him so much when he gives advice to his daughters ( Baasha/Padayappa/Nallavanukku Nallavan).

I absolutely fall head over heels when he does these kutti kutti gimmicks like for eg :
Right after he says 'Vatta' in Arunachalam in Soundharya's house.
In Baba, when the media covers him and the minister, he walks out of the crowd and does this cute thing. Even in Padayappa, after seeing Soundharya. Absoultely Original.

I can watch any of his film, any number of time at any given time. And still enjoy it the way I did the first time.
When I see his movies, I forget about all these technical aspects. He is muthu/padayyapa/baasha/johny or whoever and I am watching their lives go by in those three hours. Nobody can ever replace him. We 've got a gem with us, but still, have we mislead him into believing we are satisfied seeing him in similar roles? There is so much more he is capable of. Because he does not act, he just becomes that character. He could still do other kinds of roles and still attract many more.

I am so glad, that I am here enjoying his films rather being anywhere in this world.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nee valgha! Unkulam valga! Un sandadhi ellam vangha!!!! Suuuupppeeeerrrrr ma!! kalakitae. It is excellent to see a wurban young women who loves Thalaivar as much as the simple arumbakam auto driver! very good.

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sooooooooooooper...could not agree more...but if you want to see thaliavar's acting skills you really need to watch his Black and white Classics..there are some which did not do well in the box office and were classified as balachander's art movies...Rajini rocks in them...your blog just took me down the memory lane...

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo..Thalaivar Rocks..
Very nice post....

1:04 AM  
Blogger Incognito said...

to all : thankyou so much for taking time off. just started blogging. so did not expect these many comments.

murugan : thalaivarna summava. urban womanum sari, pattikaatu womanum sari. Thalaivar , thalaivardhan!

china : I swear. The only padam I came close to hating rajini when he played 'parattai' in 'padhinaaru vayadhinilae'. But that could not make me love kamal! Just consoled myself saying, this will pass. Thankyou for looking me up!Iread the c-mukhi post in yours and narrated the story to my family. we just loved the part when 'ramya krishnan swipes out the card' and 'thalai swipes in'. also the 'arrey arrey' part. :)

ramesh : Yeah he rocks totally! thankyou.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Incognito said...

This also proves the fact that, by just writing about thalaivar, he becomes a crowd puller !
Thankyou all, you guys just made my day.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Suderman said...

:D
thalaivar post and no comment from me? impossible!
touchitae ma! super it was. superstar is pure magic. sivaji will run 500 days for sure.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Incognito said...

suderman : lets all go first day first show for shivaji. koothadikkalam!

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home