Saturday, October 22

Reliving night shoots

My classmate(SRM), Arun was doing a presentation on 'History of Cinema' and wanted me to get some information for him. After sending him off with whatever he wanted, I was feeling quite drowsy, as I had not slept properly for past two days. Was about to sleep, when he gave a call and wanted me to do the presentation( he was shooting the whole stuff). Though feeling drowsy, it had been such a long time since my involvement in late night shooting since 'That Four Letter Word' and one Aachi masala stuff. Cinema seems to have a magic of its own, cos I was ready in ten minutes and on my way to the location.They had no props. So the first step was to set up a table, a chair, throw some books and CD's around- we got a study. Gave him an idea, to shoot it like a three camera set-up, with one cam(thank goodness he had atleast that and lights). 'Arun, where is the script, I'll stat rehearsing what I have to say'. Arun takes out this utterly crumpled paper from his pocket. 'This is what I have- Balaji Sir's notes'. I look at him, incredulously. 'No script?' , I say."No script.', he says. And to be frank, I was actually not surprised. No props, no script and no idea of how to start. This was something that brought back fond memories. Something like, this was were we belonged, everything was decided in the last few minutes or during shooting! I digested the idea, that I was supposedly to form sentences of my own at 11.30pm, and then rehearse it and finally have a go at it. God only knows, how many takes it would take of me. So there, we took a book out, wrote the points, then started. Our Prestigious Sir, had made a notable mistake naming someone else other that Eisenstein as the director Battleship of Potemkin (Bronenosets Potyomkin). Frankly even I would have also accepted that, but thanks to Sathyam Cinema and my french classmate Ajay(both of us had caught glimpses of the film when it was screened, the film was actually impressive in editing and for its crisp and fast story line, considering the fact that it was shot in 1925), that I had that knowledge.
The shoot actually went well! We were ourselves, quite surprised, what we achieved with the most minimalistic requirements(Nothing great! Just that we had as much practice doing such stuffs). I was at home by 1.45am. And I actually learned more about World Cinema, in that one and half hour than those three years I spent at SRM.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Suderman said...

sairam!
good to see u keeping at it... wil add a link to ur bilog!
and i see u've mentioned TFLW... I have ur masterpiece last minute creation, the artistic touch u guys gave to The Last Samurai...
Now i have new sexy bike but im keeping the old vandi as a memento! :)
what happened to zebra's costume?? we need it by end of the month for shoot! patchwork shoot chase scene in teh car...

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home