Saturday, May 26

Off note

I seem to have no command whatsoever of the Kaapi raagam. I have sung and worn out listeners too, probably of having sung, 'Meevalla gunadhosha' at almost all navarathri functions, when you have the usual iyer mami's gently jostling you to sing in front of golu, in exchange for spicy sundals. It is still one of my all time favourite song for the simple fact, that the raagam touches that highest note in nishabd(Ni) which elevates your spirit. I learnt it when I was in my 9th standard and I very much remember practising the song over night to get everything right. Just like how M and myself did for 'Kadhakudhuhalam' raagam's Varnam just to get it right in the third speed!

Back to Kaapi. We are doing 'Enna thavam' for the Bombay concert and the raagam part in the begining, I just dont seem to get it right. The other day, I travelled completely to Karaharapriya! Total Damage! The violinist raised her eyebrows and smiled. Somehow managed through to complete that.

So this concert, I saw the stage we were going to perform in the net. It looks absoloutely HUGE. Quite a bit of a shock really. Imagine perforing in your living room all these years in front of a highly critical crowd of mami's and patti's though [(who wil definitely try to intervene to bring different avarthanas), still they were all part of family] and one
outdoorsy concert four months back infront of a hundred plus crowd and now suddenly this huge hall.

Everyone is a professional in my group. They all perform in classical/fusion concerts, marriages and lot more places. I'm the only one out of the league. And I seem to commit every possible mistake to wreck their efforts. I am going to try my best. But I know that even my best is nowhere close to their worsts :( I just stopped singing practices three years back and I kind of regret it now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anu..Wat concert are u gonna sing?? is it already over.am i late??

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home