Saturday, December 3

To Follett

Read three Ken Folletts within a week. Something that I've never done before - reading three books of the same author in a row. But somehow, one thing led to another ;) and before I knew it, there, I was not letting go of those cheap second hand copies . .

Started with 'The Modigliani Scandal' - I've never read any author writing in this style, yet. Every character led to the next one, leading the story on the way and through their view point, there by creating a motivation for each character in a vicious cirle with a lost masterpiece right at the centre. It was not that exhilirating, infact proved to be a disappointment, keeping in mind his classics like 'Eye of the needle' / 'Key to Rebecca'.

"Lie down with the Lions" gained him more points than the last one . I guess Follet is more at home writing about spies. And he comes back to stressing on a woman's strength.
Even in 'Eye of the Needle' the climax , wherein a lonely woman on an island stops a killer of a spy, whom she just fell in love with, is what grips the whole story. In 'Lie...', he creates a romantic triangle between an English-woman and two spies fighting for different ideoligies. The first part of catching a revolutionary villian is well written. Nothing more.

On the other hand, 'A Dangerous Fortune', is completely different. Starts with a very simple death of a 13yr old boy, alas, something that would haunt the fate of an extremely aristocratic prestigious Banking family of mid 1860's. Was fascinated by how he had brought upon the differences in each character and their wanting for power, fame and wealth.

His only other different genre that I have read is 'Third Twin', which was more like reading a Robin Cook. Though I've not yet verged into any other book of his, apart from 'Man from St.Petersberg', I feel his war affliated novels prove to be stronger and
intriguing and allow us to remain much more magnetised than any of his other writings.

2 Comments:

Blogger Camphor said...

I have not read Follet yet. I kept picking it up, reading the first two or three pages, and something happened to make me drop it. It couldn't hold me.
I'll make another attempt now tho, after reading this post.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Incognito said...

Camphor : Thanks for looking in :). Been trying to read all of his books, but his first has still remained the best. Suggestion : Start with 'Eye of the needle'.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home