Sunday, April 2

In search of Robert Langdon

I never thought Tom Hanks would fit the bill as Robert Langdon in yet-to-be-released Da Vinci Code (not that Ron Howard sought my advice!). But Dan Brown's discription of Robert Langdon, Harvard Symbologist, tweed jacket, with few streaks of grey, a mysterious aura around him, had formed a completely different silhoutte in my mind. Maybe it was just me, I thought. But few of my friends agreed too. I had a younger Harrison Ford in mind. In that case, even Pierce Brosnan could have been perfect but for his Bond image. But definitely not Hanks. He is a brilliant actor, agreed. But he somehow lacks the charisma of a 40-yr old professor. I immediately remembered Clark Gable in his 40's. Even Gregory Peck from the days of Roman Holiday/Mc Kenna's Gold?
The book is famous and still getting famous, thanks to the court case. One does not need a brilliant actor to sell it. Only the presentation is much awaited. For which I am sure, Alan Cameron will do justice on the sets.

On the other hand Jean Reno as Bezu Fache is perfect choice.

7 Comments:

Blogger -Poison- said...

u have to give credit to hanks that the man manages to do whatever role entrusted to him with flair..

:)

i agree that he is not the best face for langdon, though..

7:55 PM  
Blogger Incognito said...

Poison : Definitely. That guy is brilliant. He brings finesse to the characters.

I am not able to place him at all in Langdon's shoes.

Maybe, I should wait and watch and comment. :)

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't know why most of u guys cannot accept Tom Hanks as the Prof. I feel he is a perfect fit for this role.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Smokin Joe said...

hi,
I seriously beg to differ. it was the day when me and my friends had finished the book, we were just discussing on who coul play the role of Langdon, if the movie was ever to be made (the first obvious choices were trival, our respective souls!!), but tom hanks was the name that had hit. Simple and straight. I dont know why, neither did we care to debate on it, but that is the first entity that first my definition on this alpha inspired man!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The film would anyway be out by 2nd week of May. Lets see what Tom Hanks got in store. i am trilled to see how the book is picturised. b/w anu r u in orkut? Most of the p.s senior students are in it.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Dilettante said...

I was hoping Harrison Ford too. Blame Indiana Jones and Jack Ryan on that, I guess.

The long hair adds a little bit of a treasure-hunter-adventurer types though, don't you think?

12:17 PM  
Blogger Incognito said...

Hi Varun : Sorry to have taken such a looong time.

Tom Hanks will undoubtedly do his best. But if at all we are following a book, to the letter.. If Brown had specifically mentioned pronounced features like Hanks, maybe I'd accept.
I am talking about 'Casting' here.
I can give you an example. Daniel Radcliff is perfect for Harry Potter. Even ALan Rickman is perfect for Snape's character..

But I'm sure, I will enjoy Hanks as I did in his otehr movies. But surely, this would be a piece of cake for him, in an adventure flick., considering his list of challenging roles! :)

Vibha : I swear. It sure is going to be a visual treat for all of us! Starting with Paris, Churches in England.. yumm yumm :D I hope I catch it first day first show!

Dilettante : It does, but I was trying to get a closeup snap to make sure. All the pictures that I got had low resolution.

Nineteen days left to find that out! :)

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home