Thursday, December 8

'The Secret Garden' - Frances Hodgson Burnett

Rediscovered why I loved this book, when I read it in my 8th standard. Read this book, because was planning to see the movie (Saw amazing sketches of the garden - done by Stuart Craig). It brings alive childhood, its innocence and most of all the energy. Descriptions that makes you actually smell, and feel fresh earth after rains, cool breeze and dream about spring. Brings home beauty of the Yorkshire hills and meadows that you would want to just throw yourself on dew-dampened grass and look at the blue blue sky. Anyone who is an avid reader, please do pick up a copy. Even if you had read it long time back, like me, read it once more. Never have I felt this fresh after reading a book. And a motivation to remain so.

7 Comments:

Blogger Camphor said...

Burnett, btw. :)

Yes, it's a lovely book. By the same author there is also "Little Lord Fauntleroy".. although Secret Garden is just about the most... alive...children's book, Little Lord Fauntleroy certainly has it's charm.

:D It shall be as you command, will go and fetch my copy now and read it.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Camphor said...

Oh wait! She also wrote 'A Little Princess' - these three are my favourite favourite of this type of books. How does one classify it anyway? If you haven't read them...

(Do I keep recommending too many books to you? )

1:39 PM  
Blogger Incognito said...

Camphor : Point noted! Spelt wrong. I was sure, you would have read this one. No, you are not asking too much of me. :) I am enjoying your recommendations. I was searching for Carpe.. in my library, could not get a copy. It was with great difficulty I found 'The secret Garden'. But I think he'll surely have the other two Burnett's. So Terry Pratchett is on hold!

11:54 AM  
Blogger Camphor said...

Well, an ebook is not as great as a real book, I know, but last ditch I do read ebooks.

If you want I could email the Brunett or a Pratchett or two to you...
Then again, seeing how you too keep yourself anon, you might not like that. Any author who has been dead more than 50 years (that's when copyrigth expires)is bound to be in the Gautenberg Project. Well, it hasn't failed me yet.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Incognito said...

invisible : the joy of rereading- Yes it definitely arouses a mixture of memories .. especially if you do that before an exam night! do lemme know when you have reread this one. :)

camphor : I know what you mean. had been browsing to get hold of one. 35 books, whew.. has he written anything called Carpe Dragon? Cos while I was browsing, I found somebody is gonna take a movie on that.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Camphor said...

incognito ~ No, I don't think so... Carpe Dragon would be "Seize the dragon" and that is way too corny for him. I just checked the online list, and it's not listed there.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Incognito said...

camphor : yup, must be something else

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home