Saturday, May 6

Take One

I wanted to write about a recording that I did, few days back for a Japanese Music Director.

Before this, I had done two recordings in my whole life. One for my classmate last year. A tamil song which he later made an album and submitted for college project. I never saw the final version. That took one whole night. And the other for my senior. This happened some three years back. He wanted to create a sample track for submitting it to a producer. I really loved that music and had a great time doing alaap for that track. He just let me sing what pleased me. My voice was good those days (I used to practise for one hour in the morning. But as days passed, you know what happened). The same senior called me last week to audition. I was not that sure whether I would do justice as I had not practised music for such a long time. But still landed up at the studio.
The studio was beautiful with great interiors. The first things that caught my attention were the colour schemes and the choice of furnitures. Very neat. My audition started. After singing few alaaps of random raagas, he finally approved of me or rather my voice. They gave me the track that I needed to practise and told me to come after two days.
I had prayed fervously that the pitch should not be that high, as I had base voice. But when I listened to the track, the pitch was extremely low! Did not see that coming! C grade, which is oru (one) kattai. I played the song again and again and again and soon enough my whole family was humming that song. Finally the D-day happened.
I reached the studio and was in the recording room by 10.30am. Ah! What a whole lot of retakes I did. I was quite nervous to get the song right, that I forgot to enjoy singing it. I had to also do a lot of false voice stuffs which when I heard in my own head sounded very gritty. Inside a recording room, it is literally pin drop silence. So when you do a mistake, it shows so profoundly. It just magnifies. After takes and takes and more retakes I finally got done with the song. And I had enough of it too.
When I came out of the studio, it was 4pm! I never thought I would take this long and felt quite dumb. Cos the song was not that complicated and..
So now he has taken the tracks with him to Japan for refining the track. 'Its going to be famous in Japan', he said. I smiled. I hope so too.
Anyways, was quite an experience. Got paid for my voice! That has never happened you know, before. Parched, but happy :)

14 Comments:

Blogger Camphor said...

:D Hope you have more... you do know of what a huge hit Muthu was in Japan, right? A thought to encourage you...

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi anu this has nothing to do with ur post, u would have come across LP's song in the net, i heard it too, is there any way to download it

9:14 PM  
Blogger -Poison- said...

^:)^

congrats!

incognito n famous.... :D
contradictory :D

but possible :P

9:48 PM  
Blogger Incognito said...

Camphor : I know! Thats why I'm scared :D!

Dinesh : Bharath
has uploaded the song in his website. Maybe you could request it from him.

Poison : Thats sweet! :)
How good a gemini am I!
tankoo tankoo *waving to the crowd*

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i got it from the oxygen band da (mp3), i first tried with bharat i initally had problem with download and finally he changed into wma for easy download
nemwats, thanks yaar

10:43 PM  
Blogger another illusion said...

hey thats great!! you'll be famous!! congrats!
:)
lots of hugs and kisses!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow u did it at last...congrats

4:04 AM  
Blogger the Monk said...

cool....you should let us ehar it sometime, give a link or something...

11:25 AM  
Blogger Incognito said...

Dinesh : Pas de probleme

Illusion : Tankoooo! :) *hugs*

Vibha : :D. Tankoo! Know what his name was .. Makoto Kuboto! he he

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good show anu.....good luck for more to come..

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

vowwwww!!! congrats anu.keep it up.!

2:39 PM  
Blogger Incognito said...

The monk : Long time!
U sure should not stop commenting after u hear the song :D!

Actually I've not got the track yet. Seems it would take some time.

Tankoo!

Aparna : *all 32 teeth showing* tankoo tankoo

Kavitha : *repeats action* tankoo ma.

Gals, its hard to be all incognito if all of u keep addressin me with my name *grins*

3:20 PM  
Blogger Smokin Joe said...

Cool great... voice is something that i am ... welll.. ahem ahem.. even the ahem aheam sounds so off the track...

10:22 AM  
Blogger Incognito said...

Varun : :) he he.

tankoo

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home